Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Billionaire by an iPhone app?

An iphone app created by a British teenager has been bought by Yahoo in a deal thought to be worth about $70m NZD.

Yahoo have purchased the Summly app, which was designed and made by its 17 year old creator Nick D’Aloisio. the app works by summarising articles into small 400 word segments.

The app reached No 9 in the free iPhone app chart last November.

Speaking to media yesterday, D’Aloisio said he would probably buy a new computer and trainers with some of the money from the sale, “I just want to save and bank it. I don’t have many living expenses,” he added.

“When I founded Summly at 15, I would have never imagined being in this position so suddenly.”

Summly’s features will now be used by Yahoo, where D’Aloisio will now work, as well as studying for his school exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment